8 Minute read
Subscribe to get deals!
There is, however, growing need for other jobs, and the STEM jobs are in particularly high command. According to the US Department of Commerce, STEM jobs have more than tripled in number over the last ten years.
While most careers are set to grow by 9.8% – STEM based jobs are set to expand by a whopping 17% into the future. So it is important that our kids get the fundamental grasp of STEM skill development from as early on in their lives as possible.
It can be difficult to know exactly how to teach your child STEM skills, so we are going to go through the details here:
What is STEM?
According to LiveScience, STEM “...is a curriculum based on the idea of educating students in four specific disciplines — Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics — in an interdisciplinary and applied approach. Rather than teach the four disciplines as separate and discrete subjects, STEM integrates them into a cohesive learning paradigm based on real-world applications.”
So in early childhood development teaching your child STEM skills is all about getting to grips with science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in order to give them a solid handle on the subjects before they reach school.
Why do we need to teach STEM to young children?
The National Science Foundation states that “...in the 21st century, scientific and technological innovations have become increasingly important as we face the benefits and challenges of both globalization and a knowledge-based economy. To succeed in this new information-based and highly technological society, students need to develop their capabilities in STEM to levels much beyond what was considered acceptable in the past.”
There has been a fundamental shift in education facilities to provide STEM learning from an early age to ensure that children will be able to develop to their full potential in these subjects. By making it more available all over the nation, educators are also helping to eliminate the gender and ethnic gaps that are generally found in these industries.
By teaching children STEM, we are equipping them with the necessary skills to join in making the world a better and more exciting place. Science is all around us and in everything that we do. Engineering is becoming more prominent in global warming issues as we look for green energy solutions and buildings, technology is simply growing bigger in our everyday lives and mathematics is used numerous times a day.
How to teach STEM to children
Teaching STEM to young kids doesn’t have to be as complicated as you think it is. Simply teaching children about the world around them and getting them actively involved is teaching them essential science skills.
Using educational toys that encourage engineering, maths or technology can also be used to encourage children to take an interest in these subjects. At Miniland we have a number of products that we developed specifically for STEM development in young children. Have a look here:
- Activity Clock: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/activity-clock/
- Math Color Rings: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/math-color-rings/
- Maze Balance Board: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/maze-balance-board/
- ESTUCHE PEGS 15 mm COLORS: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/pegs-2/
- ACTIVITY SHAPES: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/activity-shapes/
- ACTIVITY BUTTONS 40 PCS: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/activity-buttons/
- MARBLE RUN 46 PCS: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/marbulous-3/
- EMOTIBLOCKS: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/emotiblocks/
- MATH TURTLES: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/math-turtles/
- MALETIN PEGS 10 MM: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/pegs-38-6/
- MAXICHAIN: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/maxichain-interloking-pieces/
- CREATIVE NATURE: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/creative-nature/
- WATER MISTERY: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/water-mystery/
- MOSAIC ART 181 pcs: http://www.minilandeducationalusa.com/mosaic-art/
These are just some of our exceptional toys, and there is an endless number of activities that you can do to teach your child STEM skills in preparation for a bright future in the industry. For more of our specially developed educational toys or expert advice on skill development in children, please contact us and we will be happy to help in any way that we can.